
I decide to take the bus back to Edmonton, as it's quite likely that Bessie and Kathy would have travelled this route by tram. An illuminated signboard tells me the 349 is due in seven minutes, which isn't too bad, but one turns up after about two minutes. So what, Transport for London, is the point of the sign?
Stamford Hill is home to the largest community of Hasidic Jews in Europe, and indeed they are very much in evidence, the men particularly striking in their fur-trimmed hats, elegantly-tailored black coats, and white shawls. Hasidic Judaism was founded in Poland in the 18th century, and their traditional dress is based on eastern European aristocratic costumes of that time.
Seven Sisters takes its name from seven trees planted in a circle, originally several hundred years ago. The trees were replanted in 1886 by the seven Hibbert sisters, whose family name crops up several times in Reggie's diaries, as on 1 Jan 1912. My mother told me that one of the Hobbs family married one of the Hibbert sisters, but I have not yet been able to verify this. The photo of the 'Seven Sisters' is from Wikipedia.
Bruce Grove is seriously crummy. On some of the entrance doors to the low-rise flats, I spot 'no dogs' signs. Unlike the ones we are used to seeing, with a sweet little Scottie crossed out by a diagonal red line, these feature the silhouette of a scary, feral-type dog, like a cross between a hyena and an alsatian.
In Tottenham there is a massive police presence, with several mounted officers. I feel uneasy - are we entering a riot zone? Then I remember - of course, we are approaching the Spurs ground, and this is a match day, and why so many people are wearing blue and white. I am not a football fan, although Reggie was, so on his behalf I am supporting the home team this afternoon against Birmingham City.
PS We won! 2-1!
Seven Sisters takes its name from seven trees planted in a circle, originally several hundred years ago. The trees were replanted in 1886 by the seven Hibbert sisters, whose family name crops up several times in Reggie's diaries, as on 1 Jan 1912. My mother told me that one of the Hobbs family married one of the Hibbert sisters, but I have not yet been able to verify this. The photo of the 'Seven Sisters' is from Wikipedia.
Bruce Grove is seriously crummy. On some of the entrance doors to the low-rise flats, I spot 'no dogs' signs. Unlike the ones we are used to seeing, with a sweet little Scottie crossed out by a diagonal red line, these feature the silhouette of a scary, feral-type dog, like a cross between a hyena and an alsatian.
In Tottenham there is a massive police presence, with several mounted officers. I feel uneasy - are we entering a riot zone? Then I remember - of course, we are approaching the Spurs ground, and this is a match day, and why so many people are wearing blue and white. I am not a football fan, although Reggie was, so on his behalf I am supporting the home team this afternoon against Birmingham City.
PS We won! 2-1!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.